COVID-19 Assistance

Housing Stabilization Grants

Mayor Muriel Bowser and the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development launched new Housing Stabilization Grants with $10 million from the federal CARES Act to provide COVID-19 related relief to District Housing Providers, with $1 million set aside specifically for small housing providers. The program will be available to two groups:  

Housing Stabilization Grants (Group A), administered by the DC Housing Finance Agency, will include housing providers in the city’s portfolio of affordable housing projects financed by the Housing Production Trust Fund, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, or other local and federal affordable housing funds. 

Group B, administered by the Department of Housing and Community Development, will include small housing providers with 20 units or fewer in their portfolio.  

Rent arrears from April 1, 2020, through November 30, 2020, will be paid by the city to housing providers in an 80:20 split with the District contributing 80% of the rent, up to $2,000 per unit per monthand the housing provider forgiving the rest. Applications will open on December 1 and close on December 11.    



Group A 

Group B 





Units in city portfolio of affordable housing projects (projects financed by HPTF, LIHTC, HOME or CDBG funds) 

Units owned by landlords with 20 units or fewer 

Rent Limits 

$2,500 a month or less 

No Cap 

Arrears Assistance 

80% of rent, up to $2,000 a month 


Housing Provider Contribution 

Housing provider forgiveness of all rent arrears dating back to April 1 



Can’t be receiving other forms of rental assistance for units seeking back rent, only for occupied units since March 2020 



Basic Business License (BBL), Clean Hands Certification, 2019 taxes (federal and District) or similar documentation, 2020 rent roll showing arrears for each unit, evidence of property ownership, signed lease verifying occupancy.  


Group A housing providers (with units in city portfolio of affordable housing projects, including those affordable housing owners with 20 or fewer units) may submit applications using the email address and document checklist at the bottom of this page. If you have questions about your applicationyou can contact the DC Housing Finance Agency by emailing or by calling 1-833-201-9989.

Group B housing providers (with ownership interests in 20 or fewer units not in the city’s portfolio of affordable housing projects) may submit applications hereIf you have questions about your applicationyou can contact the Department of Housing and Community Development by emailing 

 Beginning in January, housing providers may apply on behalf of eligible tenants to the District’s Coronavirus Housing Assistance Program (CHAP). To learn more about CHAP, please visit 


To apply, you must send a separate email to for EACH individual property with ALL of the documents listed here.


The attached document is a sample template, do not complete and return this document. The agreement is nonnegotiable




Q: I am an individual resident with delinquent rent. What should I do?

A: Please go to for programs you can apply to directly as a tenant to get delinquent rent paid down.


Q: I have an ADU on my property. Can you help me?

A: Please have your resident(s) go to They will need to apply for assistance directly and it can be paid directly to the housing provider.


Q: My property does not receive any public subsidy. Can you help me?

A: If your property does not have public subsidy but you are a housing provider with 20 or fewer units in your entire portfolio, you  may qualify for a Housing Stabilization Grant through the D.C. Dept. of Housing and Community Development, which you can apply for here. Other rental assistance programs are also available for residents to apply directly to at


Q: I have vouchers at my property and the resident hasn’t paid their portion of the rent.

A: Please reach out to DCHA directly to speak with their HCVP Department directly. They can adjust the resident portion of the delinquent rent. 


Q: Do I need to submit resident leases?

A: No.


Q: Do I need to submit my taxes or audits?

A: No.  If the DCHFA team requires additional information, we will let you know.


Q: How much money will I get for my property?

A: The need for each property will be assessed individually.  The award will be based on need and funding availability.

Translate »